2011 – New Year’s Resolutions

I’ve done it, I’ve finally done it! I lost 6 ½ pounds over the last month or so. Could it be because of the upcoming wedding, my modelling commitments, or the fact that I’ve recently had the flu? I’ll let you decide that one.

Despite the inconvenience of spending most of the holiday ill in bed, I was still adamant that I would make it out to see in the New Year, and made a brief but ultimately failed attempt to put on a pair of trousers; I slumped back into bed, defeated.

Luckily, our New York apartment overlooks Central Park and the 3ft high-window gave a fantastic panoramic view of the famous midnight firework display. It felt like a private show, but the lukewarm Lemsip and rancid cough sweets were poor substitutes for champagne and canapés.

My personal New Year’s resolutions for last year, as for the previous 20, were to lose weight: still trying; grow my hair: bought it; and be nicer to my friends and family - I don’t know if it’s a good sign but last year my three children all emigrated to America and my sister is moving to Israel in three weeks’ time.

Apart from my father and of course, my gorgeous wife, I now have no more family in the UK and this makes me feel a little vulnerable. This realization made me reflect on all the people in the nine countries and four continents that we employ. Many of them are working thousands of miles away from their home country, family and friends.

So this year’s resolution within our organisation is to see more, speak more and listen more to our colleagues. In practice this means introducing buddy schemes, a wider spectrum of social activities, and making sure our management team has the tools to look after staff and foster a truly supportive environment: communication is key.

It’s great to see people looking so refreshed and raring to go after the holidays. Despite the economic climate we are experiencing a record number of enquiries and sales conversions. As always, thebigword is ignoring the bleak financial news that still dominates the media and launching headfirst into the New Year.

The number of new vacancies now exceeds 60 and with prospective work, this could exceed 200 by March, creating opportunities across every level of the company. So translators and interpreters; call centre operatives and business managers - and everyone in between - we want to hear from you!

If you’re looking for a new and exciting challenge in 2011 click on the ‘Work for Us’ tab at: www.thebigword.com to view all vacancies and join us on what will undoubtedly be a fantastic journey.

Let’s make this another year to remember!

Larry

Popular Posts