NO PAIN, NO GAIN

Sorry for not posting a blog recently, but I have hardly been able to get out of bed without wincing. I’m proud of having lost more than 14 pounds (more than six kilos) this year, but it hasn’t been a pain-free experience. Last week I bumped into an old friend and one of the first things he said was “don’t lose any more weight Larry!” I think he meant it as a concern rather than a compliment, but I took it as one of the nicest things anybody has ever said to me.

Maintaining a healthy weight is a constant battle, but staying fit is another story altogether. I recently employed the services of a six-foot, blonde lady who claims to be a trainer but has the sternness of my old French teacher crossed with a police dog handler. It’s no use: I hate training and I loathe exercise, but I need to stay in shape to cope with such long hours and frequent travel.

During last Friday’s session the trainer ordered me to pick up a two metre long pole, stop at my waist and lift it high above my head before slowly placing it back on the floor - and repeat. After a couple of minutes of moaning I finally managed it. And so, with renewed zeal, I changed the background music to something more up-tempo and stepped up the pace; a minute later I was flat on my back, writhing in agony. With handfuls of Ibuprofen and several hot pads strapped to my body, I can just about carry on as normal – and I only complain about it a couple of times an hour.

The business environment, particularly at a company as busy as thebigword, can be exhausting. Exercise is a crucial part of making sure you are up to the job physically, as well as great stress relief. And the pace doesn’t look like tapering off either...

Our New York office has just secured a fantastic contract win. It is in actual fact one of the largest contracts we have ever won in the US, covering language services in many other countries. Congratulations to everyone involved! Unfortunately, as you will appreciate, I can’t reveal any further details at the moment, but drop by next week to find out more...

Have a great weekend,

Larry

Popular Posts