OPTIMISM BY DAY BUT NOT ENOUGH SPACE AT NIGHT

Last week I had a thoroughly enjoyable visit to our Düsseldorf office. I am always amazed at how much quicker and cheaper it is to fly to Germany from Manchester Airport than it is to travel to the London office.

The hour and 10 minute flight took me to a place whose language I find almost impossible to enunciate, but somewhere refreshingly optimistic about its economy and the exciting prospects that this may hold for the future.

The professional and enthusiastic team in Düsseldorf combined with the obvious business potential to be gained from the major exporter in the EU was great news, and just what I needed. However, there was a low-point during my visit.

I was booked into the Savoy Hotel which seemed relatively pleasant on arrival, only to find that I would be staying in the last twin-bedded room. It has been many years since I last slept in a single bed and I have been told (by my wife of course) that I tend to toss and turn during the night, especially when away from home. That Tuesday night was no exception; I tossed and turned one too many times and woke up with a thud as I landed face down on the floor. I have been deliberating over whether to reveal the dream that led to this unfortunate incident, but on closer reflection I didn’t want to frighten you on the run up to the festive season.

I am also pleased to add that on returning to the UK I was greeted by the highest number of new enquiries that we have had for some time. I have previously blogged about not believing everything you see on the news and read in the papers - business at thebigword continues to grow and that is not only because we are brilliant (which we are), but because customers are still very open to business.

It is important to remain positive and remember that the reverse of the famous epithet: “talking yourself into a recession” is just as true. If we approach customers with the same positivity that thebigword has always adopted, our success will only continue to grow.

Next week I am working in our Copenhagen office. It has been a while since I was last there and am really looking forward to it. Like Germany, our Danish colleagues are also beating all the records, so I’m hoping for a celebratory night out and maybe even a king-sized bed!

Popular Posts