GETTING FIRED - ME vs. EXERCISE

My personal trainer rang me last week to say that, regretfully, my money was no longer required as I had cancelled one session too many. Despite the fact that I was willing to pay for the bookings, I found out that he didn’t approve of my “lax attitude to keeping fit” – I am an insult to the world of serious exercise. I tried to argue that if I already had the motivation to get down the gym three times a week then I wouldn’t need a personal trainer in the first place. Needless to say, he didn’t agree.

Anyway, between you and me, it was a big relief and the last two months have been torture-free. Rather than eat what I want before having some svelte twenty-something critically dissect my body, I get to eat what I want with only my self-loathing and mirrors to worry about.

So I started gorging for a few days and travelling a lot, which generally involves more gorging. I began to feel sluggish and out-of-shape again, so decided to enlist the help of another less judgmental personal trainer, a kind and softly-spoken woman.

I had the idea that a female personal trainer might have a more gentle and forgiving approach: big mistake. She started off slowly, lulling me into a false sense of security before going through a terrifying Jekyll and Hyde transformation. The speed of the treadmill was cranked up, the skies darkened and the shouting began; I started having flashbacks of school P.E. lessons. If she was trying to get information out of me it was working, I would have told her anything to make it stop.

Perhaps a safer option is just buying a Nintendo Wii and gyrate in front of the TV as I try to keep an imaginary hula hoop spinning. The only potential drawbacks here are the endless ridicule from my family, and the real possibility of accidentally throwing the controller through the screen during a game of Wii Tennis. Besides, I feel a bit hypocritical to suggest a computerised alternative after last week’s criticism of people not interacting enough in the real world.

Keeping in shape is key to a happy and healthy life and the old adage, ‘healthy body, healthy mind’ is certainly worth remembering when it comes to business. Taking up a sport can help develop many useful skills including: teamwork, effective communication and setting and achieving goals - although joining a gym might be more appealing at this time of year!

I have been pleasantly surprised with the reaction to last week’s blog. One of our Project Managers contacted me to say that cutting down on unnecessary emails by picking up the phone, and even walking to other departments, has greatly increased productivity – and it’s not bad exercise either – keep it up!

I am writing this post on the flight to Germany and looking forward to visiting our Düsseldorf office which is performing very well. It’s been a long time since I have been to Germany so I will bring you up-to-date on my adventures next week.

With the Christmas holidays just around the corner, I’m going to need all the exercise tips I can get, so if you have any suggestions, amusing or otherwise, just leave a comment.

Have a great week! Auf Wiedersehen.

Popular Posts