THE ART OF LOSING GRACIOUSLY

What a week! In my last post I promised to let you know how thebigword fared at this year’s American Business Awards, “The Stevies”. Well, I’m a man of my word and - drum roll please: we didn’t win. I refuse to use the ‘L’ word because, although we failed to add another trophy to our already buckling cabinet (it’s an old cabinet), it was an honour to be nominated amongst so many top global companies.

Normally I’m lying when I do the ‘gracious loser’ bit; winning is definitely more fun. But in this case I really mean it. Those who attended the event from our New York office said it was a night to remember, with more than 900 high-powered guests and some world-class networking all-round. To be honest, I’m relieved I wasn’t there to showcase my unconvincing ‘gracious loser’ face. You know the one: a wide smile hiding the frown lines, side-nodding at the person sitting next to you who is wearing an equally unconvincing grin.

On the plus-side, thebigword is still in the running for the Sunday Times HSBC International Track 100 award, the winners of which are announced this Tuesday, as well as an Ernst and Young accolade. These ceremonies are fabulous occasions if you win, but not so hot if you lose. Although I wouldn’t go so far as to say that ‘it isn’t the winning that matters, but the taking part’ – I mean come on, that myth’s up there with the tooth fairy – entering business awards does have its benefits:

- The information you have to supply helps you to reflect on what’s actually going on in your business.

- Discussing your success with your colleagues and attending awards ceremonies is a great team-building exercise – especially when there’s a free bar involved.

- Being nominated (and of course winning an award) is a wonderful way of boosting customer confidence and reinforcing your own status within the industry.

Maybe this positive slant on things is just sub-conscious preparation for those dreaded words: “runner-up” next year, and I will still be practising my gracious loser face just in case.

I am jetting off to our New York office later this week to see how our ever-expanding US operations are getting on, so drop by next time for a special edition of Larry’s bigword blog, reporting live (or just about) from New York.

Have a great week,

Larry

Popular Posts