POSITIVE ABOUT THE ECONOMY AND POSITIVE ABOUT YOUNG PEOPLE

It’s great to be back after my son’s wedding; it was a truly great event.

I’ve made a few trips to London this week on the train and this is the one time that I allow myself time to read the newspapers. Those of you who know me know that I normally avoid reading the papers. It’s not because I’m not interested in what’s going on in the world, I’m certainly interested politically about what’s happening but I try to avoid all the negative stories about the economy.

As I previously said it’s tragic for people who lose their businesses and jobs but the reality is that over 90+ per cent of the people are still working, businesses are still growing and retail sales for January grew more than expected, the money the Government borrowed was less than expected so there’s still an awful lot to be optimistic about.

At thebigword, I’m very proud of the successes with our apprenticeship training scheme and in New York I’m equally proud of our intern programme. All the apprentices from our first intake were offered jobs and in the US the interns were awarded credits towards a university degree,. We were bowled over by the enthusiasm and positive attitude that our young people offered, and because of these programmes we are able and more willing to offer people with zero experience an opportunity and they are paying us back big time! I was shocked at all the bad publicity regarding the work placements offered by Tesco, I don’t think we should celebrate that they are now going to offer to pay the interns because they should have done it before and in reality, they will most likely reduce payments to a very minimal level.

So for those of you out there that do have an opportunity to offer young people and long term un-employed people jobs, please do not be put off as it is a really positive move. One word of caution is there is no point in taking on an intern or apprentice unless you are willing to put in the time and effort in to their training and development, and if any of you out there reading this that would like experience in our various offices we are always happy to hear from you.

Have a great weekend.

Larry

Popular Posts