PEOPLE ROUND THE WORLD

“At the moment I am working from our New York office and I have been very busy helping my son move into his new apartment here. It is very interesting to observe the different culture in regard to customer service. Absolutely everything can be delivered from sushi to sofas and from your favourite cocktail at 3am to your pets being delivered back home after their walk and grooming.

I cannot get over the amount of little doggies that live in a city of millions of small apartments. If you want to earn good money and you like the fresh air, then dog walking seems to be a sought after career - $20 per hour, per dog and up to 5 dogs at a time; exercise is just a bonus. I know this is ridiculous and please do not tell anyone that I am sharing this with you but I found myself tailing (excuse the pun) a dog walker with 5 pooches walking around Central Park. No, it wasn’t that I was considering a career as a dog-walker and wanted to get a feel for the work but I was checking out to see if the dog-walker picked up the poo as demanded by State law. To my horror…Uchhh, yuck, yuck, yuck the dog lady collected 3 bags of poo. O.M.G not for me!

On a more serious note, thebigword is very proud of the fact that we have won a number of awards for the training of our staff. It is interesting to see that when our experts visit our global offices how their style of training needs to be adapted to the culture of the people that they are training. The Americans are very nurturing in their training, encouraging people to talk and ask questions. The Germans seem to take copious notes and listen very attentively. The British are more direct with their delivery and the people in our Asian offices have a huge appetite for good quality written material. However, the challenge that our company  and any other international companies have is that not only do you have to adapt to cultural styles but you need to deliver written material in their own language and to achieve excellent results you must also be able to deliver the courses in the native language of the audience. This is something that we have not always done enough but it is certainly going to be a rule for the future.

We have so many new fantastic technology developments and so many new products that have been made available for our customers. Yet it is a total waste of time if the customers do not understand what we have available and this can only be achieved by training our staff and breaking the final barrier and that of course is language.

I am going to lie down now as my back is aching from carrying boxes.

Have a lovely weekend- and I will be in contact with you next week.”


Larry

Popular Posts