Getting the Balance Right

Well I’ve been back in the air after spending 3 weeks in the UK.  I’m working now in New York.  Normally I am a great traveller but I have to admit that I was a bit concerned about the icy conditions and news of strong winds as I sat on the aircraft heading for New York.  I don’t want to appear ageist but is it me or are policeman getting younger and air stewards getting older?  When you’re 33,000 feet in the air one wishes it was the other way around.  Was the air steward unwell or was she just trembling as the aircraft rocked from side to side. I don’t know if you’re like me but I always look intently at the faces of the cabin crew when we hit turbulence but the bad thing about this experience was that the plane hadn’t actually taken off yet!

Talking about balance, I’m always being questioned by friends and colleagues whether my work life balance is right. Despite the 90 odd flights per year I take it’s now a year since I’ve been on holiday although my wife often travels with me for the business.  I’m often accused that my work life balance is wrong.  I suppose the people who criticise me probably don’t enjoy the work they do as much as I do.  Working at thebigword with offices in 13 countries around the world, customers in over 50 countries, and linguists in 73 countries offers daily challenges and incredibly interesting encounters.

Again talking about balance, I’m really proud of all our team and especially and I hope the men don’t mind the remarkable women within our organisation.  Last year thebigword gave birth to 24 children and with a record number of marriages going ahead, some of them even met at thebigword just like I did 34 years ago when I met Michele.  I’m really excited to share with you a press cutting which this week features the appointment of Karen Milner who joined the company 10 years ago as a Project Manager and she has worked her way up through the ranks to be appointed as Director for Human Resources for the whole group.  To show that I do get some balance in my life, if you look at this picture you’ll see just how even the scales are.  



The Karen Milner story can be found here.

Popular Posts