VALUABLE APPRENTICES

Today I had a very interesting meeting with Andrew Jones, the Government Apprenticeship Ambassador in the British Parliament. 

The apprenticeship scheme at thebigword was introduced in the UK in early 2011 and I can tell you that it’s made a huge impact.  Since that time we’ve employed 120 apprentices and been able to offer 65 per cent of them full time employment after their one year apprenticeship was complete. 

So, what is an apprentice?  Apprentice is a pretty old fashioned word but reworked as governments around the world struggle to get young people, especially those under 24 out of unemployment and into the job market.  Some of the European countries are really struggling, for example in Spain, 40% of young people aged between 16 and 24 are unemployed. This is disastrous for many reasons. 

At thebigword we are extremely proud of the work we have done in this area.  I suppose that the modern word for apprentice is really a trainee who is working towards a work-based qualification.  So why have I been so keen to support the apprenticeship scheme? Well, unlike all of my circle of friends at the earliest age of school leaving, instead of going onto further education to the total dismay of my parents, and disapproval of friends and teachers, I left formal education and went into an apprenticeship in retailing for one of the UK largest store groups, Debenhams.  Apprenticeships at that time were really reserved for people whose families could not afford for them to go into further education or culturally did not feel that it was the right environment for their children to continue as students.  I believe in those days 5% of the population went to university as opposed to 49% today.

I had been working in the workplace for seven years before any of my friends joined the world of work.  I had seven years of learning how to communicate and by the time they came out of university I had my first senior management role.  I was, unlike many of my friends, debt free and I had been able to save money and enjoy life.

So what had I lost?  I had lost the fun and academic stimulation that university offer.  In the early years due to the fact that most of my friends had gone to university, it was pretty lonely.  I feel very angry about how society treated people who chose through various circumstances to undertake apprenticeships.

What is crazy is that things are worse for people today than they were in those days.  Half of young people are expected to go into further education after leaving school and those that don’t are made to feel bad about themselves.  Just look at the amazing success our apprenticeship scheme has had. After three years I’m proud to say that out of the people we’ve taken on, not only have they been successful in their role, many of them have been promoted even further. Many of these people are not at university leaving age, they’re not in debt and they have tremendous skills.

So, I appeal to colleagues, parents, friends, teachers and schools.  Wake up to the amazing opportunities that apprenticeship schemes offer people and, of course, the companies they work for.

I also have to mention the intern scheme that we operate in the US.  The intern scheme is where we take on students for an average of 20 hours per week for up to four months and the experience they gain gives them an accreditation towards their degree.  Once again we found this a great way to identify some wonderful candidates for the future.

As I mentioned earlier, being an apprentice can be lonely when your friends are all at college and I remember being criticised by some senior members of staff for being over enthusiastic about my job.  In the early days I was nervous to take all the breaks and would rush forward to be the first to serve the customer which really irritated my colleagues.  I remember I was removed from the busy menswear department to selling pillows as some form of punishment.  I was devastated and it’s quite interesting today as I often see some of these characteristics in our apprentices because they’re so eager to learn, but I know my colleagues will agree that their enthusiasm is infectious and I’m grateful for the positive effect they have on all of us.

Jordan, Elisha and Andrew Jones MP


Have a nice weekend,


Larry.

Popular Posts