THE FACE OF ARMANI

In the last blog, I told you about my recent visit to China - and I’m glad to report back that since this visit we’ve been awarded the localisation work from Chinese to English from one of Beijing’s leading accountancy companies!
The amount of business we’re receiving now in relation to the localisation of websites is growing by the day as companies and organisations really understand the final barrier to trade is, of course, language. 

Someone in the UK could, for instance, be just a mouse-click away from finding a Chinese company that can advise them on tax issues and how to set up a company in China.

It truly is a new revolution, as organisations become more confident at being able to deal with customers and stakeholders in their own languages. Companies’ appetite for translations is becoming avaricious, and the more they get used to trading in another language, the more they want - which is great for us, naturally.  The challenge for the future is to ensure that we have sufficient qualified linguists. However, it’s not just accuracy that our customers want, but speed.  Therefore, the only way that we are going to be able to satisfy their needs is by having the best linguists working with the best technology. In the last three years, thebigword has increased its technology division to over 60 people and, whilst I can’t give you all the details, I can tell you by the end of the year we will have the most mind-blowing technology available – so watch this space.

At the other end of the spectrum, I’m incredibly proud of the work thebigword is doing with young people in preparing them for the world of work and I’m delighted to announce that thebigword has been shortlisted as a finalist in the first ever Investors in People awards in the category ‘Best School and Business Partnership’.  thebigword was the first language company ever to achieve the Investors in People kite mark and we are one of the longest holders of this award in the UK. 

We are experiencing such great success from our apprentice scheme in the UK, and in June thebigword in New York will be bringing in 15 new interns. We hope this opportunity will give them some good business experience and that their bright young minds prove to be of real use to our company.

In the last blog, I talked about my dismal singing career. So, whilst in Leeds last week, I tried a new role – as a model at a charity fashion show attended by 600 people.  If you think singing karaoke to a room full of people is scary, you should try the catwalk experience! Nevertheless, unlike the singing experience, I have to tell you I absolutely loved it… so if all doesn’t work out well in the world of business, maybe I could become the new face of Armani! (or, should I say, the new old face of Armani). My agent is expected to be kept very busy in the months ahead!




Enjoy your weekend.


Larry

Popular Posts