Green policy

CSR is the new buzz acronym. I went to a few meetings where this was mentioned and I suppose, like a number of my colleagues, I didn’t know what they were talking about. Maybe it was a new editing tool, or some kind of workflow. There is nothing like Google, my new best friend. So off I went, tapped in CSR and voilà! Corporate Social Responsibility policy.

Now I don’t like to talk politics but I have to admit to you, and please don’t tell anyone else, that I have on a number of occasions voted for the Green Party. Partly because I thought the other parties were rubbish but still felt I needed to vote, and partly because I genuinely do believe we need to take more care of the planet.

With a global company it is a real challenge, and I feel somewhat of a fraud. Goodness knows what my carbon footprint is, but I do have to say that after introducing a CSR policy, we have made some genuine changes.

We have introduced video conferencing between the US and the UK, and this year those facilities will be introduced to our European offices. It is amazing the amount of travel this cuts down, although it does take time to get used to it.

We have also introduced a bike to work policy.

We are recycling our waste in a more effective way than ever, and as I have learned more about these issues I have started to change my attitude at home. I too am recycling more at home and trying to be more careful, not wasting power etc. as I have in the past.

I would be interested to hear about your ideas and your opinion about Corporate Social Responsibility policies which of course are not just about green issues, but include many things such as our engagement with the different communities in which we work.

Popular Posts