Unhedged? It's Unhinged!

I have to admit that today I went against all my principles. I don’t watch TV much, but as I was having a late start, I flicked through the channels and for some reason unbeknown to me, I broke the golden rule and selected Bloomberg, the business channel. 24 hours a day, this channel gives information regarding changing shares, stock markets and currencies. All through the day, so-called experts give their pronouncements. Buy, sell, hedge, unhedge, and for a short while I got caught up in this reverie. Top bankers were having a discussion on the movement of the dollar.

It became evident from their diverse views that these clever people could only take an educated guess. That educated guess, ladies and gentlemen, is what got us into this mess. After a long 20 minutes, and I am ashamed it took that long, I saw the light.

Forget the R word (Recession). Forget the E word (Expert) and just remember we would consider it a deep recession if the market shrinks by 3%. After a 5% shrinkage, it would be called a depression. But let us remind ourselves that even with a 10% reduction I the market, which would be tragic for many jobs, there would still be 90% less for us to go at.

So again, I renew my warning. Do not listen to these programmes, or at least only very briefly the headlines, and even that is dangerous!

The media and the political parties play a dangerous game with our lives in the hope of selling more newspapers, increasing audiences or getting you to vote for their political parties. At this time ignore them, unless of course it is to keep right and left wing lunatic parties from gaining power.

Focus on the task ahead, while others are allowing themselves to be influenced by negative influences. This way you will surely, without doubt, win. I know it because this financial year which, at thebigword, closed on 31 May, was our best year ever and rose by more than 35% of sales and profits. It is not just because of our service, it is because of the positive way that our operational and sales people work within the market, whilst others moan and complain.

Long may this continue.

Popular Posts