NO SMOKE WITHOUT FIRE

It has been really strange being in New York recently. Our new Apartment is in a great position on Central Park South overlooking the Park and just next to Columbus Circle. It is strange to hear the noise of the horses and carts clip clopping by as they take the tourist on a tour of the area. Apparently, it’s a favourite spot for couples to propose.

The weather has been some of the worse in many years with snow storms and freezing cold so getting around to buy furniture for the apartment has been difficult. We still have no bed and we are sleeping on a mattress on the floor which Michele says she loves (I think the NY air is affecting her).

The apartment was built in 1947 it is very spacious and has original features like the bathrooms. Again, Michele says they are retro I think they are something else. An interesting feature of the living area and our bedrooms are that there are real working fireplaces, so I decided to break my back by schlepping two heavy grates and half a tree chopped up in readiness to make our sparsely furnished flat a little more cheerful. I was so proud of myself as the logs caught fire and we saw the magic of a real living fire as we sipped our wine (sitting on the floor as we have no chairs) only to find minutes later the room had filled with smoke as I had not opened the air vent in the chimney to let the smoke escape. Then the fire alarm went off and it’s too painful to tell you anymore - but the decorators are hopefully coming soon.

My daughter has been really ill although, thank goodness, it looks like she won’t have to go back to hospital and the medical support here has been second to none. We really do seem to have lived in a bubble so if I haven't been in contact with you too much then you will have to forgive me.

Work has been a real life-saver and I feel very cool as I make my way downtown on the subway without getting lost. The office here is moving to next to the stock exchange so it has been exciting planning the move.

Popular Posts