A WINNING STREAK

Wow! What an exciting time last week. Sorry my blog is delayed, but it has been a crazy time.

I was very proud of our team at thebigword who helped paint the school I went to as a child. It was great fun working with the kids. The TV programme Calendar also filmed us, so more fame as we appeared on the TV, radio and newspapers over a period of 2 days. To be honest, the whole corporate social responsibility stuff started because potential customers were asking us for copies of our CSR policy, and I have to admit we created the policy and task force initially to enable us to win business. However, as we developed the policy, which takes into account Green issues, our responsibility not only to our staff and stakeholders but to members of the community, it has had a profound effect on the business. So many of our staff have volunteered to work in the community, with projects such as the one we did last week. They’ve run marathons, baked cakes for cancer charities, and got together socially to help work with others. The rewards have been better than we could imagine, not just making money but feeling good about ourselves – and I think both are okay.

This week I have been home alone, as my wife Michele is in Israel preparing for our Passover holiday there. It is ages since I have been at home by myself and although I miss the family, I have to admit, between you and I, please do not tell anyone, that I have rather enjoyed it. Here is another secret. I actually took all my clothes off and ran around the house, screaming and shouting. It felt so good. I don’t think my wife would mind my doing that, but as we have a housekeeper it could be a little embarrassing for her.

I am looking forward to some R&R as business has almost been at fever pitch. On 12th April we are all moving into our new headquarters. It is so exciting. At the moment we have desks in every corner of the building. It is very squashed and noisy. Link Up House will accommodate nearly 400 people in light, airy offices with a fantastic staff restaurant, pool table, and reflection room (you can pray and do yoga) neither of which I am very good at. Only one more week and the clocks are changed. Already the days are so much longer, and as Spring arrives, so does increased hope for the future. I shall catch up with you later in the week.

Please, please keep my streaking around the house a secret.

Popular Posts