HOW IMMIGRATION ENRICHES US

For those of you who live in the UK I wonder if, like me, you waited with eager anticipation for the new version of the X Factor, known as the Party Leaders’ Debates. These are the televised debate of the three leaders of the three main UK political parties. Frankly, it was incredibly repetitive and I think the main requirement was marking their performance.

As potential world leaders, their performances were pretty dismal. I was really dismayed at their responses regarding immigration. Of course I agree there has to be some control, but none of the three leaders dared to say anything positive about the tremendously good effect that immigration from other EU countries: Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia etc. has really had in enriching our country. My own experience is of the wonderful care workers that looked after my mother so beautifully in the last few years, filling the vacancies that existed for a long time. In our own business with more than 30 nationalities in our headquarters and a great number of different nationalities in our London centre we just would not function without our colleagues from overseas.

The work we do for our suppliers also increases the amount of jobs in this country, as without our foreign workers who speak their customers’ language they would not win the business.

I am leaving for a three-week trip to America on Monday, a country that embraces immigrants, and I am looking at my postal vote and frankly after all these debates, like many other people in the population, I am struggling to know where to put the X. I do believe we all have a responsibility to vote. Having the freedom to choose I believe is very precious.

It will be interesting to see the outcome, but I fear it is more for seeing the scores on the boards. It’s the same feeling I have when I watch the dreadful songs in the Eurovision Song Contest; it is a well know fact that the scoreboard is the most exciting part of the programme. However, this not a song contest but something far more serious.

Whatever – I would like to extend my gratitude and thanks to all the people in our organisation from many different countries and continents for helping us achieve the success we have.

Hopefully will have a more light blog next time, although I guess that depends on the outcome of the political X Factor!

Popular Posts