WEIGHT DOWN, PROFITS UP – THE VALUE OF POSITIVE THINKING

Greetings from New York. I can hardly move! It was recently my birthday and my wife Michele decided it’s time I got fitter and leaner. As a gift she booked six lessons with a famous New York trainer to the stars. The sessions nearly killed me. Squats, weight lifting, stretching, crunching, advice on what I shouldn’t be eating. I have bravely gone through the sessions. You may have noticed last week there was no blog. To be honest, I hardly had the strength to speak – enough of my complaints. I suppose the state I am in proves that I really need to do this more.

Birthdays are a good time to reflect on the past and plan for the future. May is also the last month of our financial year, and I have to say it has been the best year ever – how good is that! The Sales team have sold their hearts out, and the Operations team have worked their butts off. What is more exciting is that the pipeline of new customers is looking healthier than ever. So a huge thanks to our wonderful teams throughout the world.

I think now, more than ever, it is important to not allow one’s self to be so affected by all the negative news in the economy. That doesn’t mean I don’t believe it is tragic for people who have lost their jobs and suffered badly in the downturn. But we are seeing tremendous opportunities. These opportunities are always much stronger in a downturn. At the moment we are continuing to invest heavily in relation to our own software development. Later this year we will be bringing out truly revolutionary stuff!

This afternoon our staff have been invited to a reception by the Rockefeller Group, as we are leaving their building in Wall Street to move to our new 10,000 sq ft office at 20 Broad Street, which adjoins the New York Stock Exchange. We have an amazing view of the Statue of Liberty and as I looked out of the window yesterday, it was quite a poignant time for me. I reflected that my great grandfather, some 100 years ago, sailed in to New York, almost penniless, to escape the horrors of persecution in Eastern Europe at that time, and this statue was his first sight of his new home.

I also reflected on how fantastic our Over the Telephone Interpreting Service is, which now helps many immigrants coming into American and the UK. This also helps those countries absorb immigrants effectively.

Back to the reception that Rockefellers are giving us. How amazing the Americans are. They state in their invitation to the other tenants of the building that it is to celebrate our success in their building and to wish us success for the future. It is that positive attitude and admiration of success that I believe has a positive effect on everyone.

Have a good weekend.

There has been an particularly excellent response to thebigword's U.S. expansion announcement. If you would like to see Forbes' coverage of the announcement, click here.

Popular Posts