COOKING FOR PEACE

I hope you are all having a good summer wherever you are, whether at work or on holiday. I am preparing to return to the UK and work on Sunday. Unfortunately my trip this time was marred by the most terrible toothache, which involved having to find a dentist and undergo some very painful root canal treatment. I am terrified of the dentist. It is bad enough going to the one you know, but pretty nerve racking when the work is done by a complete stranger. However, I have been extremely brave and for the last three days the pain has subsided.

The best part of my holiday has been the trip I did with my wife Michele and two friends over the last couple of days. It was something so special and really made the holiday - almost made up for the pain from the teeth – but not quite. We set off on a two day tour to the north of Israel, which is extremely beautiful and a place I am quite familiar with. The first stop was a small hotel in the ancient town of Safed, the hotel Palacio, which is famous for its colony of artists and religious artifacts. The Palacio is the place Madonna takes over when she comes to the region as she is very into kabalah (Jewish mysticism). The place is really wacky, with its eclectic style of furniture, beautiful rooms, many with balconies overlooking the most gorgeous countryside. The restaurant is legendary and, would you believe, a free bar – oh, how those G &T’s helped with my tooth ache.

The next day we set off for the famous city of Nazareth, just 45 minutes drive. I was navigating, so we arrived there 2 hours later!! Nazareth, which is of course one of the most important places for Christians, is now a mainly Arab Israeli city, where Christians are a shrinking minority. We were not visiting the holy sites and had no plans to a ride on a donkey outside Manger Square. We had other plans. My wife, who is a ‘foodie’, was taking us on a food and cooking experience. This involved a trip to the Arab market, with the most marvelous guide called Abi, where we were served delicious coffee made in the Arabic style of boiling it three times, blended with cardamom. Then wondered round the market, looking at all the produce which is grown locally, and then on to the spice market. The smell and colours were truly sensational. I am sure our suitcases will be searched on our return, as these will be full of powdery substances and lots of packets of long cinnamon sticks, which Michele uses as skewers.

I have pretended for many years to my wife that I couldn’t cook (I really was good, so please don’t tell her). After the trip to the market we then went on to be hosted by a wonderful Muslim family. It is here we were supplied with knives and dishes where we were to prepare the food. We all cooked together with their children, making bread, stuffing vine leaves, aubergines and courgettes with meat and rice and a special locally grown wheat called freaky. I was under a lot of pressure and it reminded me of woodwork lessons at school, scooping out the flesh of the vegetables was something I was totally rubbish at and kept cutting my finger and slicing through the side of the vegetables. I was taken off that job and put on to stuffing, which I have to say I did remarkably well.

What I found amazing as a Jew was sitting there in the holy Christian city of Nazareth, with a Muslim family, their children and our American guide from Washington cooking together, and enjoying each other’s company. Of course we did touch on the political situation, which is extremely complex. Whilst I had met other Palestinians in more formal forums, it was completely different in the relaxed atmosphere, making a meal and working as a team.

Sometimes when listening to the news (and if you have read my blogs in the past, it is something I try to avoid), it can be quite depressing, as one side continually blames the other for all the ills. Being in the city of Nazareth in Israel, and was seeing how Arabs, Christians and Jews were living, was very heartening. It did cross my mind that if we could get the world leaders to come to Balkis’s kitchen and cook, eat and talk together like we did, then there could be a chance for a better future.

I left Nazareth with mixed feelings. On one side feeling quite joyous from the whole experience, but on the other side feeling somewhat sad how everyday people of whatever religion or background suffer so much from the failed communication of their leaders. Anyway, I have decided to write to President Obama, Prime Minster Netanyahu and various leaders of the Palestinian authorities and invite them for a dinner at Balkis’s house (with her permission). I will let you know how I get on.

Looking forward to being back at work and wishing you all a great weekend, full of peace and harmony.

Larry

Popular Posts