LOOKING FOR A QUICK CHILL TO CURE MY ADDICTION

I am sending this blog from my holiday spot and it is great to be away. But I am not one who is great at relaxing quickly. It normally takes me until almost the last day to chill out, and I only chill out because I know I am coming back to work. So if any of you have any advice on quick chill solutions, let me know.

My wife Michele has now locked my Blackberry in the safe and I am only allowed to look at it for two hours a days. It is really quite tragic that I am so addicted. I find myself pretending to her that I have forgotten something from the room and sneakily grab the phone, take it to the loo and connect. Oh that feeling! Just watching the number of emails clock up. I can breathe again.

“Are you okay?” she shouts. “Oh, the most awful stomach pains”, I respond. I think being nearly caught out makes it even more exciting! And there you are, copied in on an email, on something you prefer not to see. It is nothing terrible, but now I have seen it, I really ought to call the office. If only I hadn’t gone against her wishes. So I carefully returned my Blackberry to the safe and spent the rest of the afternoon worrying about the phone calls I should make, and of course eventually do make.

So the question for you all is, “Is it good to be so accessible to what is happening in your life elsewhere, and especially at work? Do I need therapy? Could this be a good opportunity for WeightWatchers? They could do a dual lecture on cutting down on eating and restricting Blackberry use”.

Overall it is a pain, but until someone comes up with a good answer, I am going to keep connecting. It is not that I don’t have full trust in my colleagues; it is just that I really like to know what is going on. So help is needed. Send your advice.

It is amazing how technology and automation is dramatically changing our lives, especially at thebigword. We are constantly being able to automate processes, which not only cuts down on a great deal of time, but also reduces some of the more repetitive tasks. This next year automation is the big subject within our company, and with the launch of our new global language management system it is going to revolutionize our work. However, the choices open to companies are now overwhelming in relation to how we communicate. For example, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, SMS and MMS are as addictive as my Blackberry. Again that dangerous piece of equipment acts as the gateway to these communication sources.

I am going to be brave. I am going to finish my blog for this week, I am going to put the Blackberry back in the safe and I am going to go down to the pool and sit in the sunshine. Okay, I can hear you. Yes, I may stay in the shade. I know it is dangerous to sit in the sun. What a life. Not only do I worry about not chilling, I worry about frying in the sun.

I will let you know next week how I am coping with the trauma of the vacation. Have a good weekend.

Larry

Popular Posts