Engagement congrats...But I'm not wearing that!

Sorry I missed last week’s blog date, but after returning home from holiday I had a huge amount of work to catch up with.

Its OK this - not being able to look at your Blackberry stuff when you are away - but when you get back I think it can be even worse. So I am coming out of the closet, that is the water closet of course, and telling my wife Michele that the Blackberry firmly stays with me wherever we are. You will have to get over it. I know this sounds selfish, but I have promised her that when we eat it will be in my pocket and only on vibrate!

Talk about ironies. As CEO of one of the largest translation and interpreting companies I was absolutely thrilled at the announcement of my son Joshua’s engagement to his beautiful Israeli girlfriend Inbal. Josh and Inbal joined us on holiday in Israel as they both live in New York. We took the opportunity to meet Inbal’s parents, who only speak Hebrew. My Hebrew is very basic and not at all adequate when it comes to negotiating wedding plans. You can imagine how frustrated I was feeling as my wife was chattering away in Hebrew to them and all I could do was nod and smile. I sat there thinking ‘what is she agreeing to?’ knowing there no way was I going to wear one of those white suits that I see at many Israeli weddings?

Then it struck me. Of course, I had the answer. To Michele’s horror and Joshua’s embarrassment, I took out my beloved “B”, put it on loudspeaker and promptly dialled through to our interpreting service and, as the advert says, got through in under 60 seconds, and asked for a Hebrew interpreter. Joshua was highly embarrassed and Michele was totally furious, as I tried to connect to interpreter number 47, to find out what they were talking about. I could see by the reactions that this was not a good idea. So I am checking in my Hebrew dictionary what the Hebrew for white suit is. I will keep you updated on the arrangements.

Between you and me, and this is a total secret - I am back to learning Hebrew in 12 easy CDs which I listen to in the car. Although I think my driver Aydin is missing Radio 2. He did not seem too happy when I told him improving his language skills will only make him a better person.

Have to go, as I am scheduled to listen to my vocabulary.

Have a great weekend.

Larry

Popular Posts