The joys of working in summer

Hurray, hurray, the sun is shining in Manchester today. It is the first time in four weeks we have been able to go for a walk. However, when listening to the terrible news of what is happening in Pakistan, we really shouldn’t complain. However, I do have a complaint and it is not about the weather. I was alarmed to learn that modern languages at GCSE (high school level) have declined in Britain’s schools and are no longer in the top 10 subjects. I believe this can only leave the UK becoming increasingly isolationist, and long term it is a potential economic disaster.

I suppose on the other hand, in a bizarre way, it is good news for thebigword. More and more companies are anxious to export to the wider world, but for some weird reason they seem not to look for people with language skills, but prefer to outsource the work to companies like ours. However, the reality is that in the long term, if people don’t continue to learn languages then finding linguists could be a problem for us.

I believe this is the most exciting year for our company. Five years ago the majority of our business was all translations, and now after exponential growth, 30 per cent of the business is telephone interpreting (over the phone interpreting) and I think this is set to continue. Our American over the phone service is growing rapidly, with new accounts being won on a daily or at least weekly basis, and the same applies to the UK.

This is the first August in a long time when I have worked, mainly due to the fact my co-directors have younger children than mine and it is fairer they take time off during school holidays, and I have really enjoyed it. Between you and me it has been a wonderful experience, and it has been a great time to be able to sit and talk to various people around the business. Sometimes we get so tied up in our task lists that we don’t get time to chat. I have learned so much in the few weeks; however I am looking forward to September when Europe gets back to work.

Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, whether it is work or holiday, have a good time and remember turn off the news broadcasts and have a happy weekend.

Larry

Popular Posts