YOU'RE HIRED: A BIG WELCOME TO ALL OF OUR APPRENTICES!

thebigword has always been committed to taking on talented people from all walks of life and giving them the opportunity to succeed in business. Although popular TV programmes such as The Apprentice do put some glamour back into the world of work, there is a real danger that young people will think of business as a cut-throat environment where nobody can put a foot wrong without being shouted at and then fired. Of course it can be like that sometimes, but only if you do something really bad!

Business should be a constant learning experience, regardless of your seniority within an organisation; there is nothing wrong with making mistakes so long as you can learn from them and move on.

thebigword’s Apprenticeship Programme, supported by the government’s National Apprenticeship Service, offers school leavers aged 16-19 the opportunity to gain experience as Project Administrators, enabling them to earn while they learn and work towards an NVQ Level II in Business Administration accredited by Leeds City College.

Furthermore, government research shows that apprentices earn, on average, £100,000 more than other employees throughout their lifetime, and this is excluding the qualitative impact on skills.

My time as an apprentice at the retail giant, Debenhams was an incredible learning experience and taught me skills such as selling and working within a team that I still draw on today. After a few months I moved on and by the age of at 19 I was team leader for the non-food department at Asda; by the age of 20 I had 20 graduates working under my supervision. Whilst graduates do have a competitive edge in other areas, the hands-on experience gained by apprentices and other interns throughout our global offices can really make a difference!

I recently asked each of our apprentices what they have enjoyed the most so far about taking part in thebigword’s Apprenticeship Programme; here are some of their responses:

- “I enjoy working at thebigword mainly because of the people I work with and their positive attitudes towards what they do; this encourages me to do well and motivates me to come to work every morning and work to the best of my ability.”

- “I enjoy working amongst such positive and helpful people, and I look forward to continuing working with them when I gain my qualification!”

- “The enjoyment of turning up to work every day and seeing a variety of cultures and people”

It’s wonderful to hear this enthusiasm, and I know that with this positive attitude, the apprentices will fit in perfectly with the diverse, creative and challenging culture at thebigword. I’m sure you will join me in sending all of the apprentices a big welcome and wishing them every success in the future!

Finally, if you know of anybody else that would be interested in joining thebigword, on either the Apprenticeship Programme or through an internship, then please contact our HR department.

Have a great weekend,

Larry

Popular Posts