BACK DOWN TO EARTH WITH A BANG...

My head is still spinning after the excitement of the last couple of months, with great family news coming thick and fast; accepting my honorary doctorate; the relief of not going blank as I delivered my speech; the kind reaction of the audience and the student-themed party afterwards with all my family and closest friends, complete with authentic student food (minus the food poisoning).

I’m still in a daze even now, so much so, that it seems to have affected by spatial awareness, particularly when it comes to getting blogs posted on time and, more worryingly, the ability to drive without hitting things.

It’s fair to say that I’m not exactly a driving enthusiast. Last weekend as I was pulling out of the car-park of a hotel in Leeds I scraped my car against the wall. The next day I banged the car again while driving out of the gate of my house – I couldn’t believe it. ‘Breathe and relax’ I told myself. Later that afternoon, I scraped it a third time on the way back to the hotel.

Obviously none of these minor accidents was my fault. I put it all down to bad luck, poor city planning and my car being too wide. But it didn’t end there. When I finally got home a couple of days later there was a speeding ticket waiting for me accompanied by photographic evidence of the offence; there’s no getting out of that one.

In unrelated and maybe unexpected news, some of you may know that thirteen years ago I decided to write a book but had to put the project on hold after getting bogged down with work. This year, after getting a little bit of help from a brilliant researcher and editor, the project is finally coming to a conclusion. I am hoping to publish it on Writers Out in the near future and consider other potential avenues too, so watch this space...

Have a great weekend,

Larry

PS. Now that I’ve started coming back down to Earth I’ll be back with another post next Friday as usual. Drop by next week when I’ll hopefully be able to divulge more details about our contract wins, my automotive adventures and my meteoric rise up The New York Times Best Sellers list (ok, one step at a time...).

Popular Posts