THE BIG ONE

Don’t be alarmed by the title. As with all of my previous blogs, today’s post has been rated: ‘U’ - suitable for all. Business has been particularly manic of late, with last quarter’s figures revealing a record number of quotes, converted quotes and contract wins on both sides of the Atlantic.

All this extra business means more travelling: with colleagues, family, and by myself; adjusting to different time zones; answering calls in the early-morning from Asia and late at night from our New York office; and balancing a gruelling work schedule with a hectic home-life. But this weekend my wife was out of the country and I reluctantly promised to take some time out.

After 3 minutes I began pacing. My hand brushed against the Blackberry, illuminating the screen. I forced myself to resist. I walked up and down the garden to take my mind off my precious push email. Surely, I told myself, I am capable of shifting my attention from this small lump of plastic - however stylish and productive it might be.

Before you could say ‘vomit bag’ I found myself in the car heading to Blackpool pleasure beach, home of penny slot machines, rickety theme park rides and more than a couple shady-looking characters. ‘What was I doing? I wondered, as I queued at the ticket desk with all the 11 and 12-year-olds and their tense-looking parents, bracing themselves for The Pepsi Max Big One – one of Europe’s tallest rollercoasters, measuring more than 234 feet (70 metres).

At least I now had a legitimate non-work use for my Blackberry. I sent a picture of my daytrip to my wife before getting in the carriage (if you need proof, see the pictures below). The bar locked in and we began our ascent. The 11-year-old on my right must have noticed the colour draining from my face and reassured me that everything would be okay. We carried on climbing. On my right was an impressive view of Blackpool tower and I was thinking how lovely it looked when I noticed the ominous creaking had stopped. I looked down and had a split-second to say a final prayer before... whoosh! The carriage shot down the track like a bullet – what a rush.

It was exactly what I needed, and I’m happy to be safely back in the office feeling refreshed and ready to take on what I’m sure will be, fingers crossed, another record-breaking week. Drop by next week to see how we are getting on and find out if I’ve abandoned the language services industry to become a fully signed-up rollercoaster fanatic.

Have a great week!

Larry




Popular Posts