AN AWARDING EXPERIENCE

I always find it somewhat embarrassing when you invite members of your team and family to witness you not being selected for the award that they’ve got dressed up for and given up their evening to see.

I usually spend the whole time telling them that I know I haven’t won and I’m not bothered anyway because it’s great that we are all out together. This, of course, is a load of old tosh because if I didn’t care, then why in heaven’s name would I allow myself to be put forward?

So this week I was using my well-practised ‘loser’s smile’ at the Institute of Directors’ Awards event as they announced that the category I had been nominated for was being awarded to some guy from Hull, of all places! So I thought at least I will save on the Champagne and I won’t have to deliver my ‘I am so modest’ speech.

Then, as the awards were drawing to a close they announced that there was a special Lifetime Achievement Award still to present.

You’ve seen it on the Oscars; some old codger faded star who is about to croak it goes up to the podium with tears in his eyes, thrilled that he wasn’t forgotten, and everyone stands and applauds him as he hobbles back to his seat wearing what is left of his hair transplant.

Now back to the evening.... “and the award for Lifetime Achievement goes to ‘Larry Gould’” OMG, this can’t be happening to me! Surely I was meant to receive the Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award!

To add insult to injury, on hearing about it a friend sent me a text saying ‘Congrats, I didn’t know you were that sick’!

Seriously, though, it was really great to be able to collect my award and provide a good reason for everyone traipsing to York, and it was great to have some Champagne. Thank you, Institute of Directors, for making the evening so memorable.

And in the spirit of Oscar-winners everywhere, I also feel the need to thank everyone I ever met, but especially my great team at thebigword, without whom none of this would be possible!

My therapist has been a great help too.

Have a great weekend,

Larry

Popular Posts