TAKE A LITTLE TIME…OFF

After a lot of pressure from my wife, I have agreed to take a holiday to India. I didn’t need to be persuaded to go to India as I visited five years ago and it is the most incredibly exciting place to see. But between you and me, I find it hard to actually take a break. I do travel globally a great deal but actually to switch off and not work is something that I’m not very successful at. I don’t think that it’s particularly because I’m a goody-goody and everybody needs me to be working but I really do love my job.

I do think it’s incredibly important for people to take time off from work and recharge their batteries. The last time I took an extended holiday was around 16 years ago after selling my other business and at that time thebigword was a very small company and I had very little involvement in it. I took the opportunity of selling the business to work overseas for a charity. For me, I found it extremely interesting but at the end of the two year period, I couldn’t wait to get back to the UK and to the commercial world.

Our Human Resource/Learning and Developing department is spending a lot of time looking at how we can make our working environment as attractive as possible.

I think the majority of people’s work/life balance is slightly different to my own, I’ve always allowed mine to tip in favour of work.

Last year after following my experience of taking time out 16 years ago, and in celebration of a big birthday, I wrote a book entitled ‘Great Retirement, Great Sex (How to retire and still have a great sex life), which is available for purchase on Amazon! I’m really thrilled with how sales have gone, but for me, retirement is not an option that I want to think about. However, as I am at a certain age, I do get mail shots attempting to entice me into how best to invest for those golden years. I am attaching at the bottom of this blog, two pictures from two brochures that I received this week, aimed at helping me plan financially better for those golden years. I wonder if you will find the pictures as unattractive and unappealing as I have!

So, I will be interested to know your opinion on work/life balance and retirement and whilst my wife is busy at the bazaar perhaps I can sneak away and read what you have to say on my iPhone (which I am fitting into a cut-out book that I plan to take away with me).

I hope you have a good work life balance weekend and I will be back to you in two weeks’ time.

Larry


Popular Posts