ALL AROUND THE WORLD!

I am continuing to spin around the globe. In the last 13 weeks I have done 25,000 miles and worked in 4 continents and 5 countries and slept in countless different beds!

On my way I have lost 3 electric toothbrushes, 2 mobile phones, countless amount of socks and somewhere in these hotels there is a belt. My worst experience was arriving at the hotel in Manchester in readiness for my flight to New York and I could simply not find my passport. To say I was in a panic is an understatement. It then struck me that I had left the passport in the safe of the hotel in Leeds. To my relief and delight, when I called the hotel, they indeed confirmed that they had my passport and sent it to me by courier. I consider myself a pretty organised person regarding running the business, it is organising my constant packing and un-packing that I fail dismally with.

During this trip, I was invited to present a Master Class to businesses that have a minimum of £500,000 turnover ($850,000) I was really impressed with this group of 40 entrepreneurs when they told me about their businesses. One of the themes of my Master Class was talking about communicating with customers in their own language. We also had a general discussion on selling techniques and I was really very surprised that this group of British business people demonstrated their dislike to selling their products and services. I am wondering whether this is just a British attitude or if this is a reason for these people, whilst having the courage to start their own business and taking it to a certain level, are unable to achieve better results because of their poor attitude to the subject of selling. I am pretty convinced that this is the reason many UK companies are doing tremendously well and in actual fact the UK is in the top 10 exporters in the world.

At thebigword, we have invested more in the last three years in our technology and service offerings than ever before. We are very proud of the technology and even more proud of the people that run our operation. It is with this pride, that our Sales people are confident to tell customers and potential customers of the value of doing business with thebigword. You can have the best technology, the best processes in the world but if you don’t tell people about it and why it is the best then you won't succeed. So in this week’s blog, I am making a special mention and thanks to our Global Sales team.

Working for a technology enabled business like ours, the amount of knowledge that is required by Sales people is huge. They not only have to know how our services and products work but they also need to understand how our offering can be integrated to our customer. Last week I mentioned that the June results were the best in our company’s history and this could not have been achieved without Operations delivering. I ask you all to spare a though to our Sales team, who travel many thousands of miles (kilometers), and spend many nights away in hotels so that they can spread thebigword. What is more impressive to me is that most of them don’t seem to lose their passports, phone or socks. If any of you have any helpful hints to help me avoid doing this; drop me a line at larry.gould@thebigword.com.

Looking forward to catching up with you next week, have a good one.

Popular Posts