Graduates – we need linguists!

I was really excited by the news that my daughter Dalya had graduated from University with great grades – what a relief! It was all over; all those years of studying, the highs and lows of her results, dealing with her pre- and post-exam nerves. I probably feel just a little less liberated than she does at the moment.

Now I just have to cope with my youngest son Ilan, who should graduate next year, and my wife who has decided to return to University (I think she is mad). But as they say, live and let live.

We, like many thousands of parents of graduates, look forward to the graduation ceremony. However, what I find particularly shocking and very sad is the lack of jobs for those graduates-- so many graduates are finding it difficult to find work. Statistics predict that this year more than a third of graduates will not get jobs in the next 12 months. This is even after deducting the numbers of graduates who are seeking second degrees, rather than be unemployed.

What is interesting for me is the apparent reduction in the numbers of UK universities offering language courses, which I think is a great shame. An area in which we are very much in need is qualified translators in this growing market. We do recognise that for new graduates who are unable to demonstrate experience and expertise in a particular field, and who cannot demonstrate 3 years of experience, they too often suffer in securing work.

At thebigword we are working with various universities and language institutions to see how we can help resolve some of these issues. I will let you know how we get on in the future. So if any of you have ideas, please be in contact.

Congratulations to all those students and their families who have supported them during their studies on their recent graduation. We wish them all the success in the future.

Popular Posts