BEREFT OF A BLOG

Because of a misunderstanding due to the fact we did a mail out to all the linguists inviting them to view my blog, I suddenly realised that I might be without my blog. For me, that would be a huge disappointment, because I enjoy the opportunity of being able to share my thoughts with a number of our stakeholders. I certainly missed the many comments I am receiving on a daily basis, mainly coming through emails. I think being cut off would make me feel quite bereft. So here I am, alive and kicking.

One supplier I know, who really loves me at the moment, is the furniture company as we are continually buying new desks and re-buying desks at a smaller size. Belmont Park, which accommodates our headquarters, is now bulging at the seams. Whilst we are putting plans into place to increase our capacity in China, and have a facility in Argentina, we are full to capacity at our HQ and therefore looking for new space. This offers us a great opportunity to improve our facilities but at the same time we will miss Belmont Park, where our offices are now in four separate buildings, housed in two acres of beautiful English gardens.

A person’s work space is phenomenally important. After all it is where one spends a great deal of time. We are also looking at the reality of flexible working. However, whilst there are obvious advantages such as missing peak travel times, there is a general feeling that when the team are not together this does not work as effectively. We are also looking at more shift work as our evening shift, which has been supporting our US operations, has been exceedingly successful. Last night our Project Administrators met their colleagues in New York over our new telephone conferencing facility. It is our plan over the next few weeks to introduce video conferencing which will be permanently left on and our offices in other countries will be able to see and speak to their colleagues in real time. Wow, this is mind-blowing. In our new offices we plan to have video screens around the building and this will mean that people with desks in the USA and Europe will actually be able to see their colleague working on the next desk to them and actually speak to them.

I believe that this takes us to a new age of communications. It is not just the fact they will be able to talk to each other, but they will be able to see each other in their offices. Is this big brotherly love, or just big brother? I will keep you informed as to our progress.

Popular Posts