The Smile

Once again I am on my travels. Despite all the stresses and strains of travel, I still get such a sense of excitement and nerves when I arrive at the airport. Flying is certainly not the problem. I absolutely adore the feeling as the jet engines power you into the sky. At least for the time being on most flights you are just not contactable, which is bliss – at least for a short time.

I needed a series of photographs for various reasons and was most perturbed when I was told that my picture had a smile, which was not acceptable. I was told by the photographer at the local chemist there must be from now on no grin, smirk or smile on the photo in EU passports. New biometric facial recognition systems which match key features to the holder’s face work best when the face has a neutral expression.

It is true of course that smiles can hide the truth. They can provide an important way of disguising emotions, which would be inappropriate or too revealing. However, I believe equally a smile can reveal the truth behind our often unremarkable faces. In the face of a stranger, a sudden twinkle in the eye and a broad grin brings life, beauty and individuality to what seems a blank canvass. I think we should be grateful for smiles and there is more to our identity than biometric recognition realises.

I will have to sign off shortly as I am being asked to take off my belt, my shoes and put away my cell phone (which I am using to dictate this blog to my PA).

I have just heard an announcement of another delay to our flight. Travelling can be tremendously exciting, but I like to remind all our friends and colleagues that for some of the 40+ people at thebigword there is a personal cost to them, including delays, nights away from loved ones and I really appreciate all the efforts that they make on our behalf – keep smiling!

Popular Posts