Chocolate and Men’s Liberation

I am feeling quite sick after eating so much chocolate on a special offer on today’s flight back from Israel to Manchester. A four fingered Kit Kat for only 50p could be bought on the flight with your coffee so I couldn’t resist – twice!! The flight has been really tedious and very squashed but it did give me a chance to a catch up with the newspapers, and what a lot seemed to be going on!

Did Tony Blair know about WMD? Anger over Banker’s pay! The front page of one paper showed that Alesha Dixon was refused admittance to a famous London night club as she had too many men with her! And was Jesus really taught by the Druids whilst on a trip to England? These were just a number of headlines that caught my eye. However the article I found to me most interesting was on ‘Men’s Lib’. It said after thirty years of feminism it was now the time for Men’s Liberation!!! The article talks about how the pendulum has swung too far the other way and us poor guys are having a hard time of it. Is it true? Well of course it is! That’s not to say that women too have not lost out and I believe we are now in an era of “equal inequality”.

When I look around our company there seems to be far more sympathy for our female staff in relation to the pressures of juggling work and a family than for many of the guys at the offices who share the full responsibility of working and bringing up the children – and so they should, of course, as their wives/partners work too. However life, I believe, can be very confusing for us menfolk as another article states how women still insist on ruling the kitchen despite the extra work it creates for them. When one considers the role models most men have which of course were their own parents, where mothers and fathers had their defined duties, things were very different. Of course this too didn’t always work so well but still I think it was simpler if not better than what we have now. Back to Men’s Lib, guys these days do seem to be under extra pressure. After all, if you read the media ‘real men’ need to be great at work, great in the kitchen (when required) wonderful with the kids – and G-d help them if they reach sexual gratification before their women! That is real failure!

We have been talking a lot in our business about improving relations with all our stakeholders especially our translators and interpreters but perhaps we should designate this week as ‘Be kind to male colleagues week’ ouch!! I will hardly dare open my inbox this week!!

Have a great weekend and remember to be gentle.

Next week I have a guest joining my blog so please look out for it.

Popular Posts