BLOWING HOT AND COLD...

Last week I promised you some exciting business-related news and today I would like to announce that thebigword has just secured a really great piece of business supplying a very well-known mobile phone company in the U.S. - more details coming soon...

This week I have been trying to cope with the change from the famously unpredictable British climate to the sweltering New York City nights. Our apartment was built in 1947 and when the realtor first showed us around the place he emphasised the stunning original window frames; the classic log-fireplace; and the solid wood floor. These were the features that made this property a ‘must have’.

What he didn’t say was that, in the winter, we would have to put up with the wind whistling through the cracks in those wonderful original frames and during the summer the terrible air-conditioning unit (that also looks as if it might have been made in the 1940s) would make our lives a misery.

If I turn the air-con on, half my body freezes up and I wake up shivering and turn it off. An hour later I wake up again drenched in sweat and turn it back on – and so on, repeatedly, every couple of hours until morning.

The realtor also raved about the ‘peak view’ of the park that we could enjoy from the master bedroom, watching the tops of the trees swaying in the warm air and the birds gliding over the early-morning joggers, silhouetted against the sunrise. What he didn’t say was that said birds would be squawking throughout the night, accompanied by the piercing sirens of fire engines and ambulances roaring down Central Park South.

But I don’t want to be too harsh on New York because, aside from not being able to sleep, I’m having a great time. I went to watch the “Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular” which lived up to its name - although I don’t know if they were quite as spectacular as the display in Beijing for Chinese New Year...

I will be returning to our Leeds headquarters next week as thebigword is on the acquisition trail, looking for suitable targets to help bolster our exciting expansion plans. Part of the time I am spending in the U.S. is visiting some interesting companies, so watch this space...


Larry

Popular Posts