ON A WINNING STREAK

It is apt that I am writing this blog from our New York office based in the Stock Exchange building on Wall Street, where we are celebrating the most successful month in the history of our US operations. The sun is shining and this is the first real chance I’ve had to reflect on what an unbelievable week it has been.

Not only do we have our Sunday Times HSBC International Track 100 award framed and up on the wall; not only have I now lost exactly a stone in weight (or 6.36 kg to our metric friends) since January 1st, but there was another even bigger shock in store.

As mentioned in Monday’s blog, I was nominated for an Ernst & Young regional entrepreneur of the year award which I held out no hope of winning. Nevertheless, I made my way to Manchester for the awards-ceremony hosted by the always witty and amicable BBC Radio 2 broadcaster, Jeremy Vine.

My category was up: The Professional and Support Services award. Jeremy Vine read the nominations and opened the envelope, pausing for what felt like a minute: “And the winner is... Larry Gould!” I couldn’t believe it. I was already giddy from the wine and had no idea what to say as I weaved my way onto the stage. I told the audience that since my wife had always had a slight crush on Jeremy Vine, it was reassuring to see he was nowhere near as good-looking in real life.

Winning the regional award means that I am now through to the UK finals in October, and I’ll be sure to practise my gracious loser face in the meantime.

Between you and me I was more excited (or to be PC, equally excited) to be invited on to the Jeremy Vine show on 21st July. After that who knows… Hello! magazine, The Graham Norton Show, Letterman? I’ve always fancied a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame…

But back in the real world, I was proud to represent thebigword at the award ceremony and we have already received several enquiries from international companies interested in the potential of communicating with global markets. I’m looking forward to catching up with all of you next week, telling you about my Independence Day celebrations and hopefully revealing the new business we will have won by then – long may this winning streak continue!

Have a great weekend,

Larry

Popular Posts