The American Dream

I decided after my meeting in Washington, rather than take a cab back to the train station, which is housed in a most magnificent building, that I would take a walk through central Washington. This is a complete contrast to New York. Fewer skyscrapers and many more historic buildings. My main destination of course was to the White House.

I have to say that the White House is relatively small. No, I am not comparing it with my home in Cheshire, UK, but other great places such as Buckingham Palace, Versailles and many great embassies you can visit throughout the world. Listen, I wouldn’t say No to the White House, but it is, in world terms, relatively modest, and certainly looks much smaller than what you see on the TV. However, compared to No 10 Downing Street, I suppose it is okay.

Whilst taking a photograph of the White House, and now I have returned I cannot believe on my beautiful iPhone I have 6 photographs of this place, I was standing next to an African-American family, where the proud grandfather was taking a photograph of his son, holding his grandson. He said to him: “David (he wasn’t really called David, I can’t remember his name) I wanna you to keep this picture, because one day boy you too could be President of the United States of America”.

It was a special moment, not only for the grandfather, but for me as I realised how momentous Obama’s win was.

I discussed the event with my new photographer friend, as we looked over the lawns of the White House. I think what was so marvellous was that if an African-American becomes President of the United States, which is so momentous, then what can we as individuals achieve in our lives? I don’t mean being President, but really what are the restrictions on our success? I felt very optimistic at this thought.

I gave the boy’s father my business card and suggested perhaps his grandson should call me should he need any translating or interpreting when he reaches high office. It was really amazing that our conversation led on to what languages his 4 year old son should learn. “Obviously Spanish,” the father said. “But how about Chinese?”

“Good idea,” I agreed. “Maybe that will help him get a post as Foreign Secretary (or whatever the American equivalent is) just in case he doesn’t get the top job.”

Popular Posts