I cannot pretend that it was not exciting to see the FT article in thebigword this week, taking up almost three-quarters of a page. Of course, after seeing the photograph and reflection, I am now on a huge diet.

But enough of my vain comments. I received hundreds of responses from this article, which was quite overwhelming. The main theme of these responses was 'Thank goodness for some positive news, instead of all the doom and gloom'. Please don't misunderstand me. There are many companies and people who are tragically losing their jobs, but business still goes on, and in our own particular business our services seem to be in greater demand than ever.

For example, many of the major banks, such as HSBC and Barclays, who use us, are paying greater attention than ever before by commuicating with their staff and customers thoughout their own global offices. A number of manufacturing companies, rather than bringing out new products, are instead introducing their products to new markets. This for us has created a greater need for our services in relation to the translation and localisation of instruction manuals, websites and marketing material.

The fact that we are affected by the global downturn means that we also have the positive side of having a much wider market to attack than in previous recessions.

I am one of the lucky ones in that I have already started my holiday break. Writing this blog is some therapy, as stopping work after such a frantic period is hard to do. I am weaning myself off my task list and only allowing myself a short period a day, peeping at what mail has arrived.

I am sure like you we all need this year end rest. However, I recently read in the paper that January is the worse time of the year for family squabbles and break ups. So my wish for you all is a peaceful and harmonious holiday together.

I look forward to hearing some of your stories on how you have managed through this so called restful period.

Popular Posts