My secret affair

Today I have to share with you my feelings for my new friend. Smooth and cool, as I like to nestle my ear very close to this beautiful instrument. Yes, it is my very first, very up to date iPhone. Not only does it feel cool, it makes me cool, as young people stop me in the street to ask me what model it is. When I give them the details of the most up to date iPhone, the people look at me with respect…

Wherever I am in the world I can now check what the weather is like in Leeds, where my daughter is at university, or in Tel Aviv where my son is studying communications, and in New York where my eldest son is working in our office. Poor children, with their ‘run of the mill’ mobiles!

There is never a time of a day when I don’t know how hot or cold my kids are, as they walk down the road. How did I cope before?

I never need to feel alone. I have chosen the clinking of glass tones that informs me that an email has been received. In the morning, when I wake up, I now wake up to the joyous sound of pealing bells of my iPhone, gently but persistently waking me.

Knowing your true value, at any time of the day or night, is also important. I regularly get pings as my new friend lets me know whether my shares have fallen or risen that day. I have to admit that sometimes this very honest relationship does have its downside.

For politeness’ sake, when I am in company, I often turn off the ringing tone, but in my pocket I can feel the vibration against my leg, reminding me there is a call or an email. Sometimes I can’t help myself, and have to excuse myself, rushing outside into the street, lighting up the screen, opening the icon a yellow envelope, which keeps me in immediate contact with the rest of the world. Bliss, total bliss – for all of you who know my wife, please do not tell her about this, let it be our secret.

I travel considerably overseas and within the UK. Now when my wife calls I know it is her, as she has her very own tone. You may say, “Aahh but what if your phone is on silent only?” No problem. My friend knows that I would always want to take her call and now her photo flashes up. By the way, I can also listen to my favourite music. How did I manage before? How empty life seems to have been then, compared to how it is now. Sorry, have to leave you, it is my PA calling, with her own tone – by the way I have removed her photo.

Popular Posts