Separated only by a common language

As soon as you step on the intercontinental flight from Manchester to New York, you already feel the American culture, as the ageing air stewards approach you with drinks, newspapers, and big smiles, welcoming you aboard. I hate myself sometimes for loving their somewhat sycophantic approach, but it is so nice to deal with this overwhelming politeness.

However, the one place in the US that is not overwhelmingly polite, and in fact is quite threatening, is immigration. This time I arrived in Newark. We have a great business in New York, employ 24 full-time staff in our Wall Street office, and have over 500 translators working for us. But somehow or other, the immigration officials always make me feel like I am a stowaway about to be discovered.

Arrival at the Waldorf Astoria, which is one of my favourite hotels to stay, is back to the gushing warm politeness. This grand old fashioned hotel, the home to top movie stars and Prime Ministers and Presidents, with its fabulous entrance, makes you feel as though you have really arrived. However, the bedrooms are really quite crummy and old-fashioned, unless you are staying in one of the major suites which, so far, I haven’t quite made, although I am collecting my Hilton Honours.

And then there is the tipping. I will share a secret today with you. The politeness of all the people serving in shops, restaurants, doormen etc. is not exactly as real as you may think. What motivates them? Is it the love of their fellow human being? Between you and me, it is the big T.

We Brits find it so hard, this tipping custom. It is not really 10%, it is 15%. It is every time the doorman opens the door for you, and I have experienced being chased out of a restaurant, where the waiter has asked me: “Have I done something to offend you Sir, as you have only given me a small tip?”, making me feel so embarrassed and so uncool, as I fumble in my pockets for another few dollars.

Popular Posts