My new best friends

My favourite form of travel is definitely the train. I have travelled by train in many countries, in fact it is my dream to go on the Orient Express. So if my wife Michele asks any of you for any suggestions of what to buy me, the train leaving from Istanbul would be a really great birthday present. Still, a handmade card too would be appreciated.

As you know I decided to use the Amtrak train to travel to Washington. This may take longer than the airplane, but there is no delay regarding security and I find it a great place to work. As I suffer from a bad back it gives me an opportunity to walk up and down the train and have a good stretch.

I have to say that whilst in the UK we criticise British Rail, which I now think is unfair, as their timeliness has improved greatly, and nothing in the world beats the British Railways breakfast selection. But one difference I have discovered during my regular train journeys, is that the US fellow passengers are always more willing to chat than the UK ones.

Another interesting observation is that the use of mobile phones is dramatically less on the train than used by the European travellers.

On this journey I was sitting opposite a banker, who was in fact using a mobile or, as they would say, a cell phone. This ’30-something’ year old banker, who obviously belonged to a gym and liked expensive suits, was having a very serious discussion about his future prospects, with whom I can only think was his boss. As the conversation progressed, he grew more nervous and his voice became monotone. From what I could glean they were expanding his geographical area, which would mean he would have to travel much further on a regular basis. Something he did not appear too keen to do so.

Sitting alongside both of us were two very attractive ladies, very dynamic, who later I learned were in PR. He finished his conversation and looked a little defeated. The passenger next to him asked him “Are you okay?” in a really caring and meaningful way. “Yes” he mumbled. “It is not an easy time,” the other attractive slightly older PR lady said to him.

“You can say that again” Jon replied. I know that was him name because a few minutes later we all introduced ourselves.

The rest of the 2 hour trip was spent discussing how he should approach his work, the role of the new woman, whether women are the predators and the men had become victims, and a number of intimate details of failed love affairs by the three travellers (not mine).

I was so very disappointed when we finally arrived at our destination. It had been great. We exchanged business cards, and in fact I have even received some work from one of the travellers. I went on my way, feeling really good that I now have three new best friends.

And now a word of warning. The openness and friendliness and honesty of our cousins across the pond is something I find both endearing and sometimes yucky. But many of our staff visiting and working in America keep being disappointed that, after just one encounter, their new American friend can bare their souls and you really feel you have clicked. But you have to remember that that was for that moment, and does not mean they need or want any further contact in the future. It is not that they don’t like you. It is just that in this very transient world they have moved on. Sometimes of course, you do click and keep in touch, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

Some of our people visiting the US do suffer from this, and accuse the Americans of being superficial. I can’t judge whether this is true or not, but I can tell you a little bit of friendly superficiality can go a long way to brightening up your day.

Popular Posts