An illusion of peace

I took a cab to Grand Central Station to catch the Amtrak to Washington, to meet one of our suppliers. The cabbie stopped in the street, and we were passed a copy of the New York Times. To my amazement, the headlines declared that the war was over in Iraq and that the US Government were going to donate all money to the UN, who would then use the money to rebuilt Iraq.

I was so excited, I called my wife Michele to tell her the news, but couldn’t get through. I then arrived at Grand Central Station, and saw there was no reaction or sign of this momentous news. This really surprised me. After a few enquiries, I realised the paper was a hoax. I was surprised at myself for being so disappointed, as I am probably quite a hawk, but maybe this would have been a good plan.

On the question of Iraq, my thoughts turned to the Interpreters that are working there under dangerous conditions. thebigword is not supplying any of the interpreters in that region, although we do supply interpreters to a number of Governments. My mind wandered to the many diverse situations in which we put the interpreters who, for thebigword, undertake such assignments as translating the wedding vows of a famous footballer, whilst journalists and photographers of Hello! magazine look on; to attending high profile Government functions. The next day they may be in a psychiatric ward of a high security prison, as our interpreters help the physiatrists determine whether or not the accused murderer is mentally fit to stand trial.

Then my mind moved to the many interpreters who daily attend Job Centres, helping foreign nationals who are legally in the country find gainful employment. This month alone we will have interpreted over the telephone a million minutes in 140 languages – mind blowing.

Popular Posts